Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Sarah, 'My Wish' by Rascal Flatts

But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.


I heard this song about two years ago and I absolutely fell in love with this song. While thinking about this class, this song seems to fit perfectly with everything that we have covered in this class. I especially love this song because it always makes me think about the power of the human being. When I think about the Meaning of the Universe I believe that the greatest power lies in the hands of God’s people. My favorite part of this song is the chorus because it is filled with powerful messages and I think that the chorus mirrors my personal belief of the meaning of the universe. For me, the most important thing and the most powerful thing that a human being can do in his/her lifetime is to help those around him/her and more importantly to wish good blessings on others even if they are not the best of people. The belief that everyone is beloved goes closely with this song. Even if people make bad decisions in their life or behave cowardly at times, everyone is born beloved and all people in this world should wish good wishes on every person, not just the ones who they know personally. The chorus of this song is perfect at exemplifying my beliefs because in the chorus, all people are blessed with good wishes and not just those people who are the world leaders or who are known to make a difference. Not only is the message of blessing and prayer in this song, I also think this song has an important message about helping others through community service. Even though the song does not specifically say to volunteer many hours to help rebuild houses in New Orleans or in Haiti, more importantly, the song mentions the importance of all the little things in life. The most important message this song portrays is the idea that people need to be willing to go out of their way and show others they care for them through smiling, holding a door, or simply welcoming someone in need into your home. I hope that everyone gets a chance to listen to this song because I believe that it is full of very powerful words teaching very important life lessons.