Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - John, 'Courage to Grow' by Rebolution

Part I

“Its time for the world to unite as a human race.”-Bob Marley

When asked to think about a particular quote that conveys a strong message and influences me exponentially. The quote above almost always lingers in my mind. This quote has substantial meaning to me. I admire Bob Marley, he is one of my inspirations, and this quote sums up the kind of peaceful all caring man he was. Bob Marley believed in one love and one life, this means that all the people in the world should unite and be together instead of fighting over oil and other pathetic reasons for war. He believed that he could bring people together through his music and let the people feel the good vibrations his music brought to us even though there is much turmoil going on throughout the world. This quote is my favorite quote of all time because of the wonderful message it conveys. Another reason why I find this quote so important is because it’s not depressing or sad. It’s a true quote for inspiration. It makes people want to go out into the world and change it for the better. It unites all kinds of people under one. Hence the “one love, one life” I stated earlier about Bob Marley’s beliefs. I chose this quote because I look at it everyday, and think about it very deeply and carefully always coming to the same conclusion. It’s time to make a change, and bring people all as one. Lastly, this quote has so much meaning to me that I put it as one of my senior quotes.

Part II

Song: “Courage to Grow”-Rebelution

Part of the lyrics:

This is a song for those

Who lost their hope

A long a long time ago

I know someday that you will find it somehow

Because you're not too old

To accomplish goals

And all the answers are within your soul

Its up to you, you got to figure it out

Uh huh

Whether you want love or money

Good fortune or fame

You want a brand new card

You want the world to change

You better take some action right now, oh yes

Because there's nothing in the world that you can't get

So don't fill your life with confusion and regret

You better take some chances right now

Well you can gain the world

But for the price of your soul

Yes I know, well I know, yes I know

You can gain the world for the price of your soul

But I hope you take the road less traveled

And I hope you find the courage to grow

Well I hope you find the courage to grow

This is one of my favorite songs of all time, and Rebelution is one of my favorite bands of all time. This is just one of the many meaningful songs they provide. Its not just useless non-lyrical rambling like most of the music now-a-days. It’s poetic and provides a good message, and it just makes you feel good and makes you happy the things music should do. I chose this song because of the unbelievable message it conveys. It said when you have lost all hope and have nothing else in the world to not give up, and to keep going. No matter what it is you can achieve it. It might not come easy, but if you want the world to change, if you want your soul to change, if you want your bad situation to change, go out there and change it! This message I have found very valuable through this past year of my life. I listened to this song to gain hope, and just to be filled with happiness as this song provides me. Although like a majority of our teen population I listen to music for the message within the song, and its happy lyrical message given. Much of our generation listens to the most ignorant horrible stuff I have ever heard. Its nice to have a band like Rebelution that not only makes you feel good about yourself, but also provides a strong go out there and change the world or yourself for the better message.