Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Jade, 'Bruised' by Jack's Mannequin

I have chosen to reflect on the song “Bruised” by Jack’s Mannequin because it is not only my favorite song, but also, every time it comes on whether it be in the car or in my room, it seems to speak to me with its calm and telling lyrics. Besides the lyrics being so compelling and real, this song also touches my life because it reminds me of certain instances and a certain time period in my life. Throughout my sophomore and junior year, I went through stages that we discussed in class after reading Life of the Beloved; a time that I felt both blessed and broken alternately. I feel that there are rarely things in life that can comfort someone in both times of happiness and sadness but this song did and still does just that. This song is about finding oneself as you lose another. The chorus of the song discusses counting minutes and making time last. These couple of verses immediately remind me of a Life of the Beloved passage about taking advantage of life and not living in such an “autopilot” mode. As I previously mentioned, being broken directly relates to this song and being broken after losing someone you have loved. Not literally losing someone necessarily but losing them in spirit. The times of brokenness that are spoken of in this song are very realistic and relate to my life in general. The peace and well being that I feel after listening to this song is something that almost nothing else could compare to.