Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Kendall, 'Free Fallin' ' by Tom Petty and sung by John Mayer

John Mayer's version of Free Fallin' is one of my favorite songs. It is a fun song to play on the guitar because it is in my perfect voice range and is sweet sounding. The first line describes me: "she's a good girl loves her Momma, loves Jesus, and America too". Having a light feel to it, this song is able to characterize my personality because I am a very light-hearted and happy person. But Tom Petty wrote the lyrics describing a break up he regrets. While the melody is delicate and lighthearted, the lyrics behind the music describe a loss of a relationship. I have had many friendships that have withered away and they have caused a tremendous amount of emotional tension in my life. During these friendships I saw somewhat of a free fall, where things were going great and then I realized that it was not a healthy friendship for me to be in just before it ended, hitting the ground. But looking back at them I realize I regret the decisions I made to end the friendships that could have been great, had I devoted the time to work on them. But after being blessed to be a part of this wonderful class, I realized that I can be chosen and blessed in a relationship that is healthy and that allows me to grow in myself. I now have a friendship with a dear friend Olivia where I have truly given myself and have been able to develop a strong friendship that I will have for the rest of my life with no fear of “free falling”. Looking at the last verse of this song really shows my high school career coming to an end. Relating the last couple of lines back to myself, as I come closer to graduation I notice that I am trying to slow time down because once I “leave this world” or state to go to university, my friendships will go through the test of time and I am trying to save every moment I possibly can to savor the memories I have made here.

She’s a good girl

Loves her mama

Loves Jesus

And America too

She’s a good girl

Crazy ‘bout Elvis

Loves horses

And her boyfriend too, yeah, yeah

And it’s a long day

Livin’ in Reseda

There’s a freeway runnin’ through the yard

I’m a bad boy

‘cause I don’t even miss her

I’m a bad boy

For breakin’ her heart

And I’m free free fallin’ fallin’

And I’m free free fallin’ fallin’

All the vampires

Walkin’ through the valley

They move west down

Ventura Boulevard

And all the bad boys

Are standing in the shadows

And the good girls

Are home with broken hearts

I wanna glide down over Mulholland

I wanna write her her name in the sky

I’m gunna free fall out ito nothin’

Oh I’m gonna leve this this world for a while