Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Alex, 'Bless the Broken Road' by Rascal Flatts

“We are living in a world that is absolutely transparent and God is shining through it all the time. God moanifests himself everywhere, in everything- in people and in things and in nature and in events… The only thing is we don’t see it…But the gate of heaven is everywhere.”- Thomas Menton

“Every long lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you”- Rascal Flatts

As I read the above quote, a chord stuck in my heart. Everyone goes through heartache: whether it is something as severe as losing your child or as trivial as not being invited to a seemingly close friend’s birthday party. But the fact of the matter is that whether it seems to be a small problem to you, it is a very real and parasitic trouble to the afflicted person, and everyone, no matter what class, race or social status, encounters these setbacks. When asked why I believe in God by skeptics, people often accompany “Well how can you believe in a God if there is so much hurt and suffering in the World?” When first hearing this question, I was dumbstruck in Bible Study in 10th grade. Our Bible Study leader, a Methodist, replied that everything happens for a reason. As several thoughts tumbled around, I wondered if everything happens for a reason, than why does God allow his people to be so hurt? After several nights of conversing with God, I came up with my own conclusion: that we all have the right to go with God or go against Him and that He cannot control many of the causes of suffering, like disease, and especially cannot control how people behave and act. God is everywhere, working in small ways, giving light and hope to all those who open their eyes to him. Every night, I pray for my friends and family, asking God to help them through their problems and search for the good out of the seemingly horrible situation. If you keep a positive attitude and are vigilant for the signs of God, than all of the hurt and suffering in your life can vanish and lead to great things. That is why I chose the song 'Bless the Broken Road' by Rascal Flatts. It shows that even in the worst of times, life will always work itself out if you let it.