Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Olivia, 'Heart Like Mine' by Miranda Lambert

“The eyes with which I see God is the eye with which God sees me.”

Meister Eckhart (1260-1327)

Growing up, I strongly believed that no matter who you were God would love you endlessly. If God created you, how you were and how you thought and behaved, why would he stop loving you? God sees you how you see yourself, and I believe Meister Eckhart was correct when stating that. This concept reminds me of a specific song called “Heart Like Mine” by Miranda Lambert. In the song she talks about her life and all these things upon which people may frown, for example how she got a tattoo or how she occasionally will smoke a cigarette. In the chorus she states:

'Cause I heard Jesus, He drank wine

I bet we'd get along just fine

He could calm a storm and heal the blind

And I bet He'd understand a heart like mine

She says this in the song that no matter what she does in her life, what things people may judge her about, she knows she will always be seen perfectly in God’s eyes. I believe that the chorus of “Heart Like Mine” and the quote that Meister Eckhart expressed go hand in hand. God sees you how you see yourself, and if you love yourself for who you are, God will love you regardless. It doesn’t matter if you like to drink, smoke cigarettes, are gay, or even have a tattoo. God made you as who you are and will love you no matter what.