Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - Kathryn, 'Unanswered Prayers' by Garth Brooks

Sometimes I thank God, for unanswered prayers

Remember when you’re talkin’ to the man upstairs

That just because he doesn’t answer doesn’t mean he don’t care

Some of God’s greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers.”

This song is one of my all time favorite songs. Not because it is catchy or because the melody is pretty, but because behind the music there is so much feeling and so much soul. I honestly think that the lyrics of this song can be applied to everyone everywhere. The idea of unanswered prayers is something that we may not always look at as a positive thing. Usually when we ask God for something, whether it be forgiveness, help or simply things, we typically want those things now and not at a later date or in a different form. The thing about unanswered prayers is that, at the time, it can seem like God has just forgotten about us or does not believe that we deserve what we asked for. When I feel that way I know that I question whether or not I have done something wrong to make God not want to help me or I question whether God just doesn’t listen sometimes. It is hard to look to the future and see that maybe what you wanted today is not what you really need in the future. The reason that this song affects me so much is because in those times when I wonder if God has let me down, it helps to remind me that God has a plan for all of us and we just need to trust and to believe in Him. If we trust God, I believe that the he will help us on our path, even when that help does not all come in the form or at the time that we expect. That is what I believe this song means and stands for. It is a song about our trust in God and His plan for us.