Welcome!

The On Mystics, Monastics, and Meaning class enthusiastically welcomes you to our class blog. Each week, students share their reflections along with their own unique selected images, music, quotes, and/or prayers. These weekly reflections are our gathered contributions, our gift to strengthen and inspire our school community.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflection - John, 'Once in a Lifetime' by Talking Heads

Recently I had my IPod on shuffle and came across this song. It had been years since I had I heard it and it was about the time we were doing our unit on water during class. Not only did the song relate to what we were learning in class but I believed the song had even greater meaning. I believe the song is trying to convey a deeper message to its listeners. The song talks about finding yourself in a multitude of situations and asking one’s self 'how did I get here?' What I believe the song is trying to say is that in the words of my favorite movie Ferris Bueller “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” To me this means instead of trying to rush through life as fast you can, one should try to slow things down and enjoy life from a moment-to-moment basis. This song really made me think about my life because I’m at a point in my life where I’m about to graduate high school. It really made me think to myself, 'how did I get here?' and even made think about my life to this point. And as of recently I haven’t been looking ahead to major events, but just taking life one day at a time and enjoying every moment. The song makes you realize that this life is precious and you should enjoy everything you can.